Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Do As I Say, Not As I Do


It bothers me when I hear people condemning Millennials for acting entitled, especially when those people try to blame it on something as superficial as receiving too many trophies for just showing up.  Millennials act no more entitled than their parents.  They simply act differently.   I spend a lot of time with Millennials and I speak from experience.  All three of my children are Millennials and they are good, decent people who work hard.  And they got lots of trophies.  And I have been teaching Millennials since they first graduated high school and can vouch for the fact that while a few might expect to get an “A” simply for sitting in their seats, most will work to get their grades. And if they don’t, it is usually because the school system that created them as students has beaten the desire to learn out of them with standardized testing and memorization.

It is role modeling, and not trophies, that has created any perceived problem with the Millennials.  Role modeling is the most influential means of teaching a person how to behave.  If children have good role models, no number of trophies can hurt them.  And these young people have had some crappy role models when it comes to feelings of entitlement.  The Baby Boomers came and conquered.  As a generation, they have consumed more and left less for others than any generation before them.  They are the original “Me Generation” and gave us all the self-indulgence that was the 1970s.  And the same people who went out there and marched for peace and lived communally for a while are often the ones who currently drive around in their fancy cars and live in gated communities, protected from the scary world they helped create.  They worked hard and earned money and seem to have no empathy for the following generations who do not have the same opportunities they had.  If I never hear the phrase, “You have to pull yourself up by the bootstraps like I did” again, I will be happy. 

And don’t get me started on Gen-Xers.  We are almost anti-social in our self-absorption!  We have barricaded ourselves behind walls of independence and angst.  “I will do it by myself, for myself,” is the motto of Generation-X.  “No one helped me and I’ll be god-damned if I will help you.”  The other cry of the Gen-Xer parent is, “I sacrificed my youth for you and now it is time for ME.”  Barf.  We Gen-Xers have had to fight a lot harder than the Boomers for our place in the economy, but most of us found a place.  We had to struggle to buy that house, but we finally did.  We had to fight for our jobs, but we had them, at least until we got down-sized.  The Millennials have not been given these opportunities, but still feel entitled to the benefits they grew up with.

Feelings of entitlement are a tradition of White America.  They are a legacy handed down over the centuries.   It is easy to point to the young people, clamoring for the newest technology, and see entitlement.  But it is not limited to this generation.  Case in point:

Last weekend, I took my dogs, Riley and Sunshine, up to what we here in Chico, CA, call Upper Park – a vast wild parkland on the edge the city limits.  I walked along the old fire road, taking it easy and enjoying the warm sunshine and the quiet.  Upper Park is a canyon with a large creek running down the middle and I could just hear the roar of the water from where I walked down the road.  To my left, a copse of trees, a unique mixture of oak and pine, opened onto a large area of grassland, yellow, with bright green new grass peeking through, that dropped off abruptly in the distance to a deep canyon of steep, black Lovejoy basalt walls around the creek.  To my right, a grassland scattered with oak trees placed haphazardly throughout the grass and large brown lava rocks climbed, first gently and then steeply, up the other side of the canyon to the peeks of the startling buttes.  There was a slight breeze and birdsong and after the horror of the election, I lost myself in the pleasure of nature.  That is, until a middle-aged man on a mountain bike flew past me on his way down the hill, so close that my hair and my t-shirt sleeve fluttered in the breeze he created and I could feel the air-pressure difference on my arm.  I stopped walking abruptly, my heart racing and my breath labored from the near miss.  He flew on by.  But my dogs were off leash and ahead of me and my black male Pit Bull mix, Riley, does not behave himself well when mountain bikes fly by.  He jumped out of the ravine he had been sniffing in and hurtled all 76 pounds of solid muscle at the bike, causing the rider to almost lose his balance.  The rider righted himself while Riley ran back to me at my call.  As soon as he saw he was safe from attack (although Riley would not have actually attacked him), the biker stopped his bike and yelled, “You should have your dogs on a leash!  He almost knocked me over!”

“You almost ran me over just now!” I yelled back, amazed that after such a close call, he was not in the least contrite.

“You had plenty of warning!  You should have gotten out of the way!” he yelled in reply, revealing his deep-seated feelings of entitlement.  The fact is that given a warning yell from a biker, I always step out of the way, knowing it is far easier for me to move quickly than it is for them.  However, this man had not called out to warn me.  We were not at a corner, so it was not that he had come upon me in surprise.  He had simply not cared.  He had assumed I would move to make room for him on a road he seemed to think he was entitled to use more than I was and when I did not, he felt entitled enough to blame me for his near miss. 

We ended the exchange with a few “Fuck yous” and he rode off, muttering threats.  Riley was circling me a bit anxiously and Sunshine, our ginger and white Bully Pit, scampered up to me, happily oblivious to the drama she had missed.  After a few days of feeling victimized, I had to admit that my own entitlement had reared its ugly head, too.  I love dogs and do not fear them and while I am much more careful with my dogs in populated places, in the wilds of Upper Park I feel entitled to let them run.  Dog lovers will agree with me that dogs need a place to run free.  Bikers will think that dog owners need to make sure their dogs don’t knock them over as they hurtle down hills.  Entitlement stretches throughout our culture.  Every time a car cuts me off on the freeway the drivers are exercising their feelings of entitlement to being wherever they want to be at any given time.  God only knows, merging is a lost art because drivers all feel they are entitled to being first in line.

Speaking of lines, every time I get impatient when standing in line at a store and start rolling my eyes and sighing or muttering under my breath about morons, I am showing my own entitlement.  I am exhibiting behavior that says, “I am more important than you and my time is more valuable and I am entitled to going to the front of the line at worst and to all of you peons disappearing out of my way at best.”  Sometimes I break into giggles at myself when this Royal Princess exhibits herself.

We all think we have a little royal entitlement due us, so the next time you hear yourself, or someone else, complaining about how entitled the Millennials act, remember that they are only behaving as they were taught to behave. 
                                                           Riley and Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment